Three new free books from the UCL ‘Why We Post’ Social Media Study

This was forwarded to me as part of a mailing list I am on. I thought it might be of interest to some of the members of our lab.

At the moment there are three books available. Here is a blurb about the project itself:

Why do we post on social media? Is it true that we are replacing face-to-face relationships with on-screen life? Are we becoming more narcissistic with the rise of selfies? Does social media create or suppress political action, destroy privacy or become the only way to sell something? And are these claims equally true for a factory worker in China and an IT professional in India? With these questions in mind, nine anthropologists each spent 15 months living in communities in China, Brazil, Turkey, Chile, India, England, Italy and Trinidad. They studied not only platforms but the content of social media to understand both why we post and the consequences of social media on our lives. Their findings indicate that social media is more than communication – it is also a place where we now live“.

Download these three books (and future books) for free from: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ucl-press/why-we-post/

1 comment for “Three new free books from the UCL ‘Why We Post’ Social Media Study

1. March 8, 2016 at 5:55 AM

“This is perhaps our single most important finding. Most studies of the internet and social media are based on research methods that assume we can generalise across different groups. We look at tweets in one place and write about ‘Twitter’. We conduct tests about social media and friendship in one population, and then write on this topic as if friendship means the same thing for all populations. By presenting nine books with the same chapter headings, you can judge for yourselves what kinds of generalisations are, or are not, possible.”

I like it 🙂